Friday, January 13, 2012

genetic testing..

We started genetic testing before Christmas on me...it's really expensive so we started with one of us. I wonder why there are some people who are bank tellers, firemen..and then GENETICISTS?! It completely blows my mind what a geneticist's brain can comprehend well enough to explain to people like me ;). After processing the info I learned today..this is how I would explain it...

Kenadee has two broken genes...both broken ones could have came from me, one from Dennis and another sporadically, or both from Dennis. Today, we found out that neither bad gene came from me which means we now test Dennis to see if they came from him. If both came from him, then it is back to the drawing boards to understand why Kenadee is the way she is. Children with Mitochondrial Disease don't have the same broken genes as K, which could mean that she started a new trend or there's more to the puzzle. Regardless, I feel one step closer to understanding..... sort-of.  

Hopefully, we'll know the answers soon..maybe to give us a sense of closure, to help Kenadee's doctors better understand and work more towards a cure, and help us know the chances of the disease attacking other kids if we chose to have more.

Praying daily for a cure....XOXO 

5 comments:

  1. I super-love that family pic, and I love you too Lace. You and Denise are amazing, your precious angel is blessed to have such awesome parents. Praying for you. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you are writing a blog!! I agree with everything Amy said - you guys are AMAZING parents. The love you share for each other is apparent in everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you, Lacie...God knew exactly who Kenadee needed as parents.

    ReplyDelete